For 2 days now we have been hit with the a tropical storm. The wind has been howling and it hasn’t stopped raining – and not just rain but RAIN. You wouldn’t think that just a few days ago it was still like summer.
As a result of all this rain it seems that the local water pipe network is unable to cope and the resulting factor is that any excess water creeps back up the nearest basement / garage drain. And this is what happened. I went down to the basement to discover that we had 2 – 3 inches of water covering the entire floor – and it isn’t a small basement. We both donned our wellies (or rubber boots as they call them here) and went in. We managed to get hold of a pump from Nicks dad and it then took 90 minutes to get the water under control.
Nick’s dad manned the pump whilst Nick and I brushed the water towards the door where Nick’s mum was shoveling it outside. It was a lot of hard work but between the 4 of us we conquered the water.
We only suffered minimal damage to our things that were in the basement. It was mainly boxes containing clothes that we didn’t have space to unpack and a few other bits and pieces.
Hopefully now thew worst of the storm is over and we wont have to bail out again. It is not an experience I am in a hurry to repeat.